Hello everyone. It's a new day and I hope we are all in good health. Today, I want to discuss about a concept called surrogacy. Stay tuned as I go on.
SURROGACY: The Pros and Cons
What is Surrogacy?
When we talk about surrogacy, what we are referring to is an arrangement between two parties whereby one of the parties (the couple) asks the other party (the surrogate) to be a reproductive vessel for their child.
That is, a couple can make an arrangement with a woman to carry their child for nine months and after giving birth to the child, the couple take the child. The carrier also known as the surrogate, is usually compensated for this. This arrangement is usually backed legally to prevent any of the parties from backing out or defaulting.
There are different ways of surrogacy. In case one, only the surrogate's womb is being used. That is, the egg and sperm are gotten from the intended parents. They are then fertilized in the laboratory, before introduced to the womb of the surrogate. This is called gestational surrogacy. The couple are the biological parents of the child and no genetic makeup is gotten from the surrogate.
In the other case, both the surrogate's womb and egg are being used. For example, a couple might have difficulties in having a child because something is wrong with the woman's eggs. In this case, the man's sperm will be introduced to the surrogate’s eggs through artificial insemination. So here, the surrogate mother is the biological mother of the child.
The Pros of Surrogacy
We have seen what surrogacy is. Now what are the advantages of this?
- It allows couples who are unable to bear children the normal way to still have their own biological children.
- It allows the surrogate to enjoy the pregnancy process without taking responsibility for the child.
- It is a good way to earn a lot of money as a surrogate.
- Surrogacy has very high success rates and is better than going through fertility treatments and other procedures in order to have biological children.
The Cons of Surrogacy
Anything also has it's disadvantages. Some of the cons of surrogacy include the following.
- In case a legal backing wasn't included, the surrogate might not be compensated.
- In some cases, especially those where the surrogate's eggs were used, the surrogate develops a connection with the child and refuses to give the child away as was agreed upon. Some even run away with the children as we have all seen in Phillipine movies😂.
- Surrogacy is a very expensive process and not many can afford it.
- Non-gestational surrogacy can give the child hereditary problems in case the surrogate's medical history and family history are not thoroughly checked.
So as we can see surrogacy is a very good way to have biological children. But in order for you to fully enjoy it with little problems, look for a surrogate that you can trust, always do a full and thorough medical background and do not proceed when the arrangement is not yet legally binding. Doing this will give a peaceful arrangement and minimal setbacks.
Thank you all for reading.